If you have household items that have some useful life, but you no longer need, then Community Reuse Days is a great option for you. MSU students, faculty, staff and alumni can deliver old sporting goods, appliances, bicycles and much more to the MSU Surplus Store during this periodic event. Community Reuse days are typically held in the fall and and spring.
2015 Community Reuse Dates:
April 20-25, 2015
Monday to Friday 7:00 am to 3:00 pm and Saturday 9:00 am to 1:00 pm
Community Reuse Days accept the following items:
- E-waste and household electronics:
- Personal computers, keyboards and mouses, TV’s, monitors, telephones, cell phones, laptops, VCR’s, printers, scanners, microwaves, copy machines and small items such as coffee makers, vacuums and toasters.
- Good, usable furniture (no mattresses)
- Sporting goods including bicycles and exercise equipment
- Books, magazines, DVD’s and CD’s
- Scrap metal
- Holiday decorations
- Knick knacks and trinkets
- Kitchen items
- Free Document shredding
Unfortunately, we cannot accept the following items:
- Hazardous waste
- Alkaline batteries
- Cleaning Supplies
- Modular Furniture Panels
Styrofoam (Polystyrene) Collection
Please place Styrofoam in a clear plastic bag. Please rinse off and remove food waste.
Acceptable items include:
- Foam cups and containers.
- Foam egg cartons
- Foam trays
- Most packaging foam – molded forms and shapes
- Bulk packaging foam used in computers, electronics, etc.
- Packaging peanuts (bag separately from other foam)
We cannot accept:
- Process flame-retardant material (i.e. pink or blue insulation foam)
- Expanded plastic packaging material (a sponge-like material that resembles foam)
All material collected is resold, reused or recycled and the proceeds from the sale of re-sellable items help support our efforts to increase materials collected from campus and the community. As a result of past Community Reuse Days, we’ve been able to expand recycling opportunities of all colors of glass at the Recycling Drop-off Center and implement a pilot polystyrene (Styrofoam) recycling program on campus.
Check the MSU Recycling Events Calendar on the right side of the page for information about upcoming Community Reuse Days and other events. You can also Follow us on Twitter, or Friend us on Facebook to keep up-to-date with all goings on at our facility.
Unloading assistance will be provided. Community Reuse Days are for personal use only. Businesses are encouraged to contact one of the many e-waste recycling providers in the mid-Michigan area.